Monday, September 14, 2015

Birthday Celebration... 48 is Great!

The day I turned 48 happened to be the day labor day eve... which was great for me because I got to celebrate on both a Sunday and a Monday. And then because I have the world's most thoughtful and coolio pals ever... I continued with those birthday celebrations straight on till Friday, when they planned and hosted a gals only birthday EXTRAVAGANZA... with waffles. And pedicures. 
I know, pretty awesome, right?!?
So here is a photographic essay of my birthday events- joyfully and absolutely bookended by waffles.
I kicked off my earliest hours of being 48 with a morning walk with my dearest Rosie and Penny G. Schnoodlepants...
We hit the farmers market and Rosie had the super nutritious breakfast of a waffle and a watermelon popsicle.
Arrived home to gorgeous flowers that delightfully smelled up my whole house from my dear Karl, who got them from his favorite florist (Del Apgar Florist on Eastern Ave) , and I was reminded of how lucky I am to have a husband who has a favorite florist :-)
A song!
I received a song on my birthday! Written and performed by my favorite musician couple... Josh and Genevieve... who musically suggested that I
"follow closely your birthday intuition and dance out in the open"
A new recommendation to me for sure... but I will definitely take this happy birthday song advice.
So watch out world as I follow my 48 year old intuition and start taking my moves into the open!
Then on to lunch at a favorite spot with my Mary, who rode the Megabus in from Chicago to help me celebrate... and was also kind enough to give me a crash course in selfie stick usage.
After lunch, I got to cheer on my favorite nose guard/linebacker/left tackle at the same time that I was able to cheer on Karl as he skillfully handled grill duty at the game flipping burgers on a 95 degree afternoon.
Later that evening, Charo came to babysit... which inspired more selfie stick pics... we are all giddy with anticipation of a grown up dinner out.
And here we are positively elated as we make our exit. Karl is gleeful with hands in the air excitement!
Because the day following my national holiday birthday was truly the national holiday of labor day, my parents very happily kept the party going by hosting an additional lunchy party complete with my favorite spice cake.
Which prompted much discussion of the renowned Spice Girls...because why wouldn't it?
 Because it was my birthday, everyone was very patient and good natured about my newfound, obnoxious, but still pretty fun, selfie stick usage.
No one was safe from me forcing them to pose... including my super cool 20 year old nephew, doesn't he look thrilled to have his photo with Aunt Maggie?
And then, as if a birthday with a bonus day wasn't enough... my dear and amazing friends planned a completely fun evening which started out by drinking wine at the EXACT SAME TIME as getting cute toe pedicures.
My mom saw this photo of Lauren drying her toes in the nail salon and renounced that I "led my dear sweet cousin astray." So if you were to ask my mom she would identify this as a girls gone astray photo of Lauren, Kim and Lynn.
Party animals...woop, woop!
After all of our toesies were as adorable as they would ever be...we ran across the parking lot for a delicious dinner at Taste of Belgium and ate waffles for dinner and dessert.
We had a terrific time and concluded that  Belgium was the most amazing country ever for inventing something so fabulous. And then I think that we may have started planning a trip to our new favorite country to celebrate our beloved waffles before deciding that maybe it would be more feasible to plan to come back to Norwood for dinner instead.
We tried to take a big group self portrait but we weren't skilled enough to squeeze everyone in...
So we resorted to the old fashioned, but tried and true method of asking the kind server to take our photo... so here is the whole crew of us.
And so concludes my very fun week long birthday extravaganza made so by the many dear friends and family that fill my life and remind me of life's blessings.
I am beyond grateful to each of you for going above and beyond to help me celebrate my first days of being 48. And also to prove that your birthday age doesn't need to end in a zero to receive a multi day celebration.
I am truly lucky indeed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment