Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Big Black Monster with Teeth.


Meet...
The Big Black Monster.
I always thought of it as a a pretty quiet not so scary sort of clothes hamper that doesn't generally cause a lot of problems. I never considered it to be frightening... it's kind of raggedy and old but creepy?
Not so much...
Until very recently when Rosie told me it was really a...
BIG BLACK MONSTER!
I tried to reassure her...
"No, its a big laundry basket that we put dirty clothes it... there is no such thing as monsters."
Her reply to me... "No such thing, except for that BLACK MONSTER next to your bed."
So I emptied it and let her crawl around and play in it, which she enjoyed very much.
My hope was that by playing in the big harmless hamper, Rosie would have faced her fears and no longer be freaked out by the hamper. 
"See, it's not scary at all... at all" I pointed out after a few minutes of play therapy.
(I was pretty sure that she had come to terms with her irrational fear of the laundry basket.)
Rosie leveled a cool gaze a me...
"That's because it's not dark out...when it's darktime, it turns into a monster with teeth and eats people. I'm SCARED of it because it wants to EAT me."
Oh.
(ok, she has a point...totally creeeeepy)

2 comments:

  1. Love this post, Maggie! When Michael was little, he was afraid of monsters, too. Somewhere along the line we discovered "monster spray" also know as air freshener. You see, Michael could not, would not be convinced that Monsters were, in fact, not real. So, we resorted to parental trickery....not proud of this, mind you..but it worked! You see, monster spray is stronger than ANY monster. Even the big black one at your bed side. Simply spray a perimeter around his room, and Michael was convinced the Monsters would dare not cross! The smell of the spray reassured him it was working :). Didn't have to use if for long...but boy did it work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silly mom. When will you ever learn? Monsters will always be there, and they will always be waiting until night to get ya! Cute little Rosie.

    ReplyDelete