Friday, February 24, 2012

Photos are Fine if the Artist is Dead.

Henry... annoyed at the museum's lack of arms and armor.
Mural by Joan Miro (1893-1983)

Lately, Henry has been very interested in medieval kings, princes, knights and their arms and armor.
 (not so much for queens and even less so for princesses- go figure)
Anyway, I thought the boys would enjoy seeing the weapons and armor exhibited at the Cincinnati Art Museum... the same impressive suits of armor and intricately decorated swords that I visited in my youth.
Alas, it was not to be.
When we arrived on the art museum scene, I learned that the exhibit of my memory was taken down and safely tucked away, "only recently" according to the information desk lady. She did agree with me that the weapons and warfare exhibit of my childhood and beyond, "had been displayed forever" and would have been of huge interest to the boys.
Jamie and Henry were disappointed in this news. But then the information desk lady quickly redeemed herself when I asked her about photographing art work. 
 "If the artist is dead, it's fine to photograph."
The boys loved the cool simplicity of this rule. 
Jamie found this painting on his own...
 Matisse! 
I know this artist, he's famous and dead... take a picture!
We happened to be visiting on George Washington's birthday. And the artist who painted this portrait of George died in 1801.
Fine to photograph.
Happy birthday George, 280 years young today!
Feeling presidential, we thought it was only fair to say hello to President Lincoln the next day. 
Henry asked if he was "really this tall in real life?"
Abe was a tall fellow... but not quite eleven feet.

Happy belated 203rd birthday to you, Honest Abe!

1 comment:

  1. Ha! My favorites are the pics with Abe. Wouldn't that be cool if he really was that tall? And that Miro painting is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete